Tuesday, October 1, 2013
4 Benefits of Creating Your Own eBook
But, on the flip side, if you’re thinking of doing B2B (business to business) work, businesses would prefer a booklet to hand out to prospects, clients, or employees.
While booklets have their place, today, I’m going to address ebooks because they're such an amazing product and they can be absolutely FREE to create!
What else can you create for free and SELL for whatever you think it’s worth? Okay, maybe not for ‘whatever you think it’s worth,’ you do have to consider the market when deciding on a price. But, as far as cost, the only cost is your time and some effort.
Simple steps to creating an ebook:
1. All you need to do is open a Word document and start typing away. Get all that expert knowledge you’ve accumulated over the year/s and create your content. Just be sure that your content will actually be of value to your readers and reliable.
Pretty easy so far, right?
2. Now that your content is set, you can add pictures. If you can believe it, this is also free or pretty close to it. Just use clip art or visit sites such as Freepixels.com, MorgueFile.com, or BigStock.com. Another easy way to do this is to take your own pictures. Download them onto your computer and then upload them into your ebook. You can use Microsoft Word to tweak the image or if you have a program such as Photoshop Elements or Logo Creator you can create all types of variations of one simple photo.
3. The next step is to design your own cover and/or interior images. It’s easier than you think.
4. That’s it! Now, it’s time to take your Word doc and cover and upload it to Kindle or other service.
5. You can also use a pdf creator and change your Word doc into a pdf file. Then you’ll have an ebook!
Easy Peasy. Done.
But, wait a minute, there’s more. What about the benefits of creating your own ebook?
4 Major Benefits of Creating Your Own eBook
Now that you have an ebook, what can you do with it? Well, just about anything!
1. Sell it.
You can sell it on your own website through Paypal or Google checkout, or use a shopping cart service; you can sell it through Kindle, Lulu, or Smashwords.
2. Use it as an ethical bribe.
You can offer your ebook as a free gift to entice visitors to sign up for your newsletter.
3. Make it keep giving.
If you decide you’ll give it away as a free gift (ethical bribe) to subscribers as an incentive to opt in to your mailing list, and you should be doing this as part of your book marketing strategy, you can get even more ‘bang’ for your effort by making it ‘reprint allowable.’ This is a great way to increase your visibility, create backlinks, and bring traffic back to your site.
‘Reprint allowable’ simply means the recipient can pass it along to others, as a free gift, as long as he keeps it completely as is.
4. Create a combo package.
You can also offer it as a combo with other works you have for sale. And, you will be establishing and promoting your expertise and authority . . . you get the idea.
I recently did this with an affiliate product I promoted. To sweeten the pot (take it up a notch), I offered one of my own products as a bonus.
There you have it, four simple ebook strategies that can make you money, build your list, and generate visibility.
For ongoing writing and marketing tips and strategies, get free access to the Writing World (top right sidebar.)
MORE ON BOOK MARKETING
Memes and Themes
Email List - 10 Giveaway Freebies to Get Readers to Opt-in
Headlines that Increase Website Traffic and Conversion Rates
Karen Cioffi, the Article Writing Doctor
Content writing training for small businesses and health professionals