"7 Ways to Educate and Motivate Your Muse” by Joan Y. Edwards
What can you do after you've submitted a manuscript to a publisher or agent?
What can you do when you're not working on marketing your work?
I believe this is the time to educate and motivate the muse within you. Here are 7 ways to educate and motivate your muse:
1. Experience Life, attend workshops, take courses.a. Bake cakes.
b. Go on a tour of an Historic house.
c. Attend a weekend workshop.
d. Volunteer at a homeless shelter for children.
e. Take a writing course at a community college or other learning institution.
2. Read three books about the craft of writing.a. Darcy Pattison: Novel Metamorphosis
b. Donald Maass: Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook
c. James N. Frey How to Write a Damn Good Novel
d. James N. Frey The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
e. Karl Iglesias: Writing for Emotional Impact
f. Margaret Lucke: Schaum’s Quick Guide to Writing Great Short Stories
3. Read three best-selling books in your favorite genre.
4. Watch three movies in the genre you write.
5. Study the websites of three best-selling authors.Here is a list of many to choose from or search for your favorite online.
Best-Selling Authors for Children
J. K. Rowling
Best-Selling Authors for Adults
George R. R. Martin
6. Study and find three matching three publishers and agents for your manuscripts:a. Jeff Herman’s Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents 2011: Who They Are! What They Want! How to Win Them Over! by Jeff Herman
b. Sally Stuart’s Christian Writers’ Market Guide
c. Children’s Writer’s And Illustrator’s Market, Writer’s Digest Books
d. Writer’s Market by Writer’s Digest Books
c. Visit the Preditors & Editors website to check out the editors and agents you’ve chosen. It’ll tell you if they are legitimate or warn you about them. http://pred-ed.com/
f. Check the submission guidelines of the websites of the publishers and agents of three of your favorite books.
Pub Subbers from my website will recognize these as activities for Week 4. I hope these ideas lead you to the right experiences to educate and motivate the creative muse in you. Believe in you. I do.
Please leave a comment with other ideas to activate the creativity within you.
Celebrate you now.
Never Give Up