Whether you you write full time, if writing is a passion project, or both, you are constantly creating. You are driven to write: to build new worlds, bring people's stories to the forefront, explore new genres and format ... and that's a good thing.
Writers, celebrate the love you feel for the work you do. Gift yourself something special for Valentine's day this year.
Here are some ideas:
1. Time. Set a weekly appointment to work on that passion project you never seem to get around to. An hour a week adds up, and you'll never create this potentially wonderful manuscript or story unless you earmark that time.
2. Patience. This is as true for writing as it is for anything else: people work on their own timelines, not yours. So, instead of getting frustrated that you haven't heard back from that agent or editor, give yourself patience. Breathe. And work on something while you wait. You know what they say about watching pots.
3. A Fresh Start. Do you feel frustrated with everything you are working on? Are you losing motivation and excitement? It may be time to reassess your goals and reboot your projects. You can put things on the side, too.
4. Sleep. Sleep in one day this weekend. Or ... sleep in one day every weekend. You work hard. You deserve it!
5. A Break. What's the one activity you keep wanting to do, but can't seem to make the time to actually do? Are you overdue for a walk or a workout? A cooking class or seminar? A movie or book club? Stop waiting for the right day. Just do it!
6. A Clean Office. Nothing is more refreshing that a tidy work space. Take the afternoon, file things, clean up. You'll be glad you did.
7. Gold Stars. Now, these don't have to be actual gold stars, but they can be. I'm talking treats. What makes you happy? Fresh writing supplies, a book by your favorite author, a meal out with a good friend? Reward yourself whenever you hit a milestone ... or on a holiday.
As a writer, it's important to acknowledge and celebrate all accomplishments. And a holiday, like Valentine.s Day, is a wonderful reminder to do something nice for yourself!
* * *
What is the best gift you have ever given yourself? Please share in the comments.
* * *
Your Goal Guide: A Roadmap for Setting, Planning and Achieving Your Goals. A writer, editor and project catalyst, as well as founder of the D*E*B METHOD and Write On Online, Deb works with individuals and businesses to set goals and manage their projects through one-on-one coaching, workshops, and online support. She is also the author of Write On Blogging: 51 Tips to Create, Write & Promote Your Blog and Purple Pencil Adventures: Writing Prompts for Kids of All Ages, host of the #GoalChat Twitter Chat, and a speaker/moderator on the subjects of writing, networking, goal-setting, and social media.