Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Writing Books - Is There Money in It?
How does an author create a living out of writing?
Well, whether you're in the process of writing a book, in the process of having a book published, or your book is already available for sale, there are a few strategies writers can use to supplement their income, or create a living from writing:
1. Create e-books and offer them for sale. If you're a fiction writer, write about elements of writing, the process, the pit falls, the publishing process, your marketing strategies, and so on. Write what you know.
2. If you have interests other than the fiction you write, capitalize on them also. Maybe, you're a great cook, write about cooking. If you have an interest in health, do the research and write about it.
For steps 1 and 2, it's easy to create a pfd with images and a cover. You can offer them on your site, or through services such as Lulu.com and Smashwords.com.
If you're willing to invest in a clickbank account or another of these types of services, you can find affiliates to help you sell your e-books.
3. Don't forget this ONE essential strategy that all writers need to utilize: Write articles, research appropriate magazines and submit, submit, submit - if you don't submit your work, you will not get published, or earn an income from your writing. And, as stated above, being published does matter; it opens up doors and opportunities that may not otherwise be open.
4. If you're writing nonfiction, think spin-offs. You can create journals, and even videos for sale.
5. Look into selling through catalogues.
6. Whether you’re writing fiction or nonfiction, seek out corporations or businesses that may be interested in your topic. For example: I wrote a bed time story and my writing coach, suggested I look into children's stores (furniture, clothing, toys, etc.) to see if they'd be interested in buying in bulk to offer the book to their clients for sale or as giveaways.
7. If you're published, offer teleclasses or coaching. This is one of those opportunities that will work better if you're published.
8. Promote, Promote, Promote!
These are a few of the strategies you can use to generate income from writing.
Tip: Remember to be focused and research your target market.
By-Pass Marketing and Book Selling
Do you want to get that idea turned into a book? Do you want to write your memoirs? Do you need editing, proofreading, or a professional critique? Do you need an e-book to offer as a Freebie on your site? Do you need blog or article visibility for your business? We’re experienced, professional, and we cover a number of writing services. So, please stop by and check us out. Go to: http://dkvwriting4u.com
Until next time,
Author, Ghostwriter-for-hire, Freelance writer, Reviewer
http://karencioffi.com (sign up for A Writer's World Free Newsletter and get 2 e-books)
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KarenCV
And, Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kcioffiventrice