Writing Books - Is There Money in it?
But, you should still strive to get published because it does open some doors and allows for alternative means of income.
How does an author create a living out of writing?
Well, whether you're in the process of writing a book, in the process of having a book published, or your book is already available for sale, there are a few strategies writers can use to supplement their income, or create a living from writing:
1. Create e-books and offer them for sale.
If you're a fiction writer, write about elements of writing, the process, the writing elements, the pit falls, the publishing process, your marketing strategies, and so on.
Write what you know, if you want to take the easy path. Or, you can research topics you're interested in, or that are known to be money-makers, or other.
2. If you have interests other than the fiction you write, capitalize on them also.
Maybe, you're a great cook, write about cooking. If you have an interest in health, do the research and write about it
For steps 1 and 2, it's easy to create a PDF with images and a cover. You can offer them on your site, or through services such as Kindle, Lulu.com and Smashwords.com.
If you're willing to invest in a Clickbank or JVZoo account, or another of these types of services, you can find affiliates to help you sell your e-books and/or spin off products.
3. Don't forget this ONE essential strategy that all writers/authors should utilize: Magazine articles.
Write articles, research appropriate magazines, and submit, submit, submit. If you don't submit your work, you will not get published. Writing credits create credibility and authority. This helps you sell what you’re offering.
And, as stated above, being published does matter; it opens up doors and opportunities that may not otherwise be open.
4. If you're writing nonfiction, think spin-offs. You can create podcasts, videos, and other formats of your work and sell them right off your website.
5. Look into selling through catalogues and stores.
You’ll have to do your research and possible contact some companies, but it's a viable option for selling your books.
To start, you can check out these sites:
You can also contact the managers or purchasing agents for stores like Target, Cosco, and Walmart.
6. Whether you’re writing fiction or nonfiction, seek out corporations or businesses that may be interested in your topic.
For example: I wrote a bed time story - I could look into children's stores (furniture, clothing, toys, etc.) to see if they'd be interested in buying in bulk to offer the book to their clients for sale or as giveaways.
7. If you're published, offer teleclasses, online classes, DIY courses, or coaching. This is one of those opportunities that will work better if you're published.
8. Promote, Promote, Promote!
Writing isn’t enough, you’ve got to do the marketing to generate visibility and bring traffic to your website.
Wrapping it Up
These are just some of the strategies you can use to generate income from your book writing.
Tip: Remember to be focused and research your target market.
Karen Cioffi is an award-winning author, ghostwriter, and author/writer online platform instructor. .
And, check out Karen’s e-classes through WOW! Women on Writing:
Revised Reprint from 2010.
MORE ON WRITING AND BOOK MARKETING
Your Website and Graphics
Writing to Get Published – 4 Basic Steps
10 Fears Freelance Writers Face